Our Fallen Comrade was originally composed in 1887 and dedicated to Avery W. Hayes (1835-1882) who served as the bandmaster of the training ship U.S.S. New Hampshire, which was stationed at the Naval Training Station in Newport, Rhode Island towards the end of the 19th century. Hayes and the band of the New Hampshire performed not only at the Naval Training Station, but throughout the city of Newport and beyond. Hayes also served as the conductor of the famed Third Regiment Band, which performed throughout the northeast region in the 1870s. After his military service he conducted bands and orchestras in Newport until his death on April 25, 1882. He is buried the Common Burying Ground in Newport, Rhode Island.